Sunday, November 11, 2007

Doc's Ever Growing List Of Perfect Albums

I have been thinking about music recently as you might have been able to tell from my posts. I was involved in an online discussion about "perfect" records recently. Albums that have no "filler". As fun as this sounds, but also very hard. So few rock albums were created with the intention of every track being great. Thats just not how the economics of the industry has worked usually. I think most record companies would have preferred to spread 11 great tracks over 3 albums. : )

As Katy and I have been playing this game and mentioning it to other friends I find myself wanting to make suggestions and then removing them from my list due to one or two dud songs!

Here is all I have so far...
Filigree In Shadow - This Mortal Coil
UK - Danger Money
The Clash - London Calling
Traffic – Traffic
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
The Police - Synchronicity
Public Image Ltd. - Album (man, I love this record)
The Who - Whos Next
Elton John – Madman Across the Water
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Elvis Costello – My Aim is True
The The - Mind Bomb
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Aim is True - Elvis Costello
Untitled #3 "Melting Face" - Peter Gabriel
The Who - Quadrophenia

If you read this and want to play... just remember to be honest with yourself... don't put "Madman Across The Water" on you list unless you would REALLY be willing to listen to "Tiny Dancer" every time. : )

2 comments:

Katy said...

Here's my list....

The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Cowboy Junkies: The Trinity Session
The Cure: Disintegration
The Cure: Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me
David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Dead Can Dance: Spiritchaser
Depeche Mode: Black Celebration
Depeche Mode: Violator
Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Laurie Anderson: Mister Heartbreak
Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral
Payne's Grey: Pull It Down
Peter Gabriel: Security
Peter Gabriel: III (Melting Face)
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd: The Wall
The Police: Synchronicity (yes, even "Mother," LOL)
Sting: The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Tears for Fears: Songs from the Big Chair
They Might Be Giants: Flood
This Mortal Coil: Filigree and Shadow
U2: The Unforgettable Fire

I really struggled over whether to include Genesis' A Trick of the Tail. It's amazing except for one song that I just can't listen to all that often. Just one measly little song... the rest of the album is completely amazing though.

kiwa said...

Here is some I think you missed:

Joan Osborne - Relish (the best)
Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
AC/DC - Back in Black
Sheryl Crow - Sheryl Crow
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Kelly Sweet - We Are One
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Journey -Look into the Future
Journey - Arrival
Journey - Trial by Fire
Journey - Next
Journey - Frontiers
Journey - Captured