Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Laying down on the battlefield is something I may understand...

Planes full of innocents shot out of the sky, never-ending war fought over dusty old books and dusty old concepts, some police that seem to think they are the military and the population is the enemy, efforts for gender equality that seem to be perpetually stalled or moving at such a snails pace as to seem stalled. Lingering race problems that should have been nothing but a bad memory by now. Sure its bad, and I think I may know how you feel brother... I have tried too. I only wish I could have done a fraction of the good you did. But still, I know what its like to try so hard for so long and not feel like it really made much difference. I am so sorry you could not stay longer. Learning that you have fallen is like a lance through the heart. I am supposed to be smart, and with that, I have felt a responsibility... Am I supposed to find some way to make things better? Is THAT the same feeling that brought you down? Because if it is. I understand... How can creators, thinkers, entertainers... bringers of knowledge, truth and joy build any faster than the greed driven takers, and hate filled destroyers rip away at the things we build? We have little snack trays of truths wrapped up in songs, stories, science and jokes and they have t-shirt cannons of glitter, wealth, fear, glamor, and hate. Still I don't agree that it was time to surrender even if you felt like you had done all you could.

No comments: