Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The internet is NOT REAL LIFE! said the troll back in 2001.

I found this text clipping I saved from Tuesday, November 20, 2001 at 2:00 AM in my old files today.

Person trying to justify vile behavior online back in 2001:
“People flame because of the way people act.  This is the Internet, not real life.  Some people just cant fathom the idea that the 2 are different.”  

What I wrote in response:
"Um, HOW is the Internet different that RL? The Internet is just a form of communication.... nothing more, nothing magical; it’s not an alternate reality.

Its just a jazzed up walkie talkie.

So by your logic, if some one called your house and spewed vulgar insults then that would be ok because the phone is "not real"? 

The statement that the Internet is "not RL" sounds allot like primitive superstition to me.  Much like a remote tribe of people 40 years ago that thought photography would seal your soul! lol...

Wake up! Acting anti-social is just that. Doing it on the internet in the future will be seen as no different than doing it by mail. 

So get a head start now and act like a human being in ALL communications with other human beings. The anonymity of the Internet is an illusion. Everyday that passes you are more and more a citizen here just as you are walking down the street, bound by the rules of society.

Peace,

Doc."


I wonder if that person feels the same these days? Please take note of how even back in 2001 I rarely hid my identity online. I stood behind my words. If I published something, I meant it! I wish other people had set the same standard for themselves. we might be living in a different world now.

No comments: