Friday, June 22, 2007

I started telling stories to her.

The act of dictating has reminded me of something important.

Have always considered myself a storyteller, I wonder if this event in my past helps explain why.

I recall when I was very young someone at the school I attended noticed I had a very large vocabulary for my age so for short time I was given special "one on one" attention with a wonderful young teacher who let me dictate stories to her. She would type the short little tales up in either an effort to teach me to read the words that seemed so over ambitious coming from a young boys mouth or perhaps it was just to document that I a was somehow different. Thinking back, I wish I could recall more about her and why she took the time to do that. But for what ever reason it was done, it was one of the first times I can recall feeling special and feeling smart, I remember her as being full of praise, and that was a very rare commodity in my childhood.

I find myself hoping that she is well and happy and wishing that I could thank her.

But then of course, she probably never existed.

1 comment:

Katy said...

You are undoubtedly a storyteller. I have to wonder if you developed your skill with the spoken word and weaving captivating stories, not to mention your skill in performance and comic timing, partly because you had trouble getting those words out on paper.