Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Where the Wild Things Is As Dark As You Are... or were.

On message boards around the globe the battle rages on about a mature minded movie involving what its like to be a child, made from a children's book containing adult concepts like the balance of love against anger and being in control of ones own destiny.

Many people seem to want this to be an all around "happy" film with no challenging content or themes. The way I read their comments, I think they would be happy if it was along the lines of Garfield or Spongebob Squaqrepants. They clearly don't see the book the same way I always have. I have even read many people complain that the Wild Things in the leaked test (now gone from the internet) were not smiling like they are in the book!

Holy crap! They think the beasts in the book are smiling! Grinning would be more like it large toothy grins, but mostly they are barring their teeth. Sometimes cracking what might be called a smirk. I mean, they threaten to eat him because they love him so much. : P

Some others in these threads try to point out that the actual words found in the book are not exactly "nice". But people seem to insist that the Wild Things are the 1960's equivalent of Mike and Skully from Monsters Inc. (I love Monsters Inc. btw but Its a different "beast") They call them "cute" and "cuddly". Good God are they missing the mark. I hope they didn't ruin those great characters for their kids by reading the book to them in a "baby talk voice"

I Imagine the parental censorship going something like this...
"They woared their terrwible woars, wolled their terrwible eyes, mooshed their terrwible teeffhies, and showed their terrwible softy-wofty paws."

"They cried, Oh please don't go, we love you so! We'll eat...er kiss you on your belly welly!"

Ugh.

Anyone really looking at the art and reading the content should see that it is not a "cute" story. Its supposed to be a bit on the edge, without crossing the line. Max is an angry boy. He is frustrated, a bit out of control, and he is trying to deal with his anger at being punished. When he "runs away" what he is doing is working through his problems with his imagination. The wild things ARE his dark side! At least that is my take on it... It seems so clear to me and It's quite brilliant really.

In addition to its simple and elegant story, Maurice Sendak's art in the book is stunning and I can say with no hesitation that it was one of the things that influenced me to pursue my creative abilities. I am a bit subversive, dark, and spooky myself... coincidence? Only somewhat, I am sure I was drawn to the book because of those budding aesthetics in me, but all kids NEED influences that cover a full spectrum of tone. Spooky, joyful, wondrous, dire, playful. Just giving them one "flavor" of life is cheating them and not giving them the tools to deal with the dark uncomfortable feelings they may already have. Children can understand a lot, we just don't give them credit for it. Maybe the fact that I got my hands on a dark and creepy little book about a bad little boy that imagined being the king of the Wild Things helped me work through some of my problems.

Maybe some kids out there need a equally powerful film about that same boy to help them with their problems.

So I guess what I am saying is if you had a happy go lucky childhood, or choose to deny yourself access to those dark feelings you had as a child, then the monsters were smiling... for the rest of us, they were "gnashing their terrible teeth" in an attempt to keep the rage under control. If you grew up like I did, constantly feeling under attack and in danger, you may be more interested in the Spike Jones version... in the same way that the original work by Maurice Sendak was more than just a cute little book to me when I was a kid.

Mr. Sendak gave me a tremendous gift back then... he showed me how to escape.


7 comments:

Katy said...

Kids really are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. I remember understanding a LOT at an early age. This was one of my favorite books, due in large part to the illustrations. I never thought it was a "happy" book. Kids need to be challenged and learn how to deal with their dark sides (yes, we all have them, even kids) so they can grow into healthy adults. A kid surrounded by nothing but illusions of happiness and fluff and marshmallows and safety is going to be in for a shock when the real world first bites them in the ass.

Murdock Scott said...

Do you really remember it as being a bit scary? Did the monsters seem "cuddly" to you when you were a kid? Possibly a bit different for little boys I could imagine but still they were more like pirates than care bares.

I mean, I think I would have rejected the book had I seen them as one dimensionally friendly as a child. The challenge of them being "on the verge of Wild" and him not only surviving but becoming king was the point... as wild as they were, they were no match for him because he had been TOLD he was very wild and bad.

The worse things he could imagine, horrid beasts and monsters all… were not as "bad" as he was.

Katy said...

Yes, I do remember it as being scary. I was glad I wasn't Max. Those monsters never seemed cuddly to me. They didn't necessarily seem mean or vicious, but they weren't Care Bears by any means. I think the reason that book sticks with so many of us is that it had depth. It wasn't a cute cuddly story, it wasn't safe and sanitized for our protection; it had something much deeper, and you don't get that from a lot of kids' books. I think that's why we remember it fondly.

Carrie said...

If you listen to interviews with Maurice Sendak, he totally believes in and identifies with the dark side of childhood, the reality of childhood. We have, and have read to the kids, many of his books. We never glossed over them or tried to make them freakin' happy. And the result... Anna got a 32 on her ACT. (36 possible). That's the beauty of scary children's books!

Murdock Scott said...

I am so glad I am not completely out on a limb on this one... I have never heard any interviews with Maurice Sendak, I was really hoping I wasn't reading too much into his work.

I wonder if I could hunt down those interviews with him I would love to hear him speak about this subject.

Carrie said...

Try NPR. (Per your email: I'm being consistent - I wouldn't bother.)

laughingcat13 said...

i only ever encountered this book as an adult and i've never read the entire thing, but it's weird to know that people would be concerned about it scaring kids. kids love to get scared. when i was in elementary school i would sneak to read ghost story books all night and get so scared, i'd stay awake until dawn. that's why kids like to go to haunted houses on halloween and ride the roller coasters at amusement parks. it's thrilling.

anyway...people...sheesh.

i do have to say i weawy, weawy, wove doc's wewite.