Friday, April 25, 2008

Why Maurice Sendak Puts Kid Characters in Danger

I am so glad I was not off base with the thinking of this wonderful creative man. He pretty much is every bit as cool as I have always imagined him to be.
Get to know him through his own words.



I few things I found interesting...
He says that he doesn't write for children. 
He called the "current" Mickey Mouse a fat whore.
He works at night... like me. : )
Child psychologist Bruno Bettelheim warned that parents should not allow children to read Where the Wild Things Are because it would frighten them too much.

"Childhood is a tricky business," Sendak says. "Usually, something goes wrong."That theme got him into trouble with adult critics in the past, but he’s not worried about how his younger readers will react."Kids," he explains, "are so shrewd."

My already massive respect for this him just grew even more.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love both of these interviews. It is so nice to hear someone who understands that childhood is not just fun and shiny red balloons.